How To Create A Solid Psychology Research Paper Discussion Section
The discussion section in your paper acts as a frame around your research. It is similar to the introduction but the only difference is that you begin the introduction with a general approach and move towards the narrowed subject. However, in a discussion section, you begin with the results and generalize them to apply to the context of your paper. A solid discussion section in psychology would require you to read the introduction carefully so that you know what you are actually going to address in your paper.
If you are writing a discussion section about a research paper in psychology, you have to show how the field’s knowledge has changed with your results. You have to support your hypothesis and create a dialogue between results of your work as well as others. It is simply an interpretation of the results keeping the hypothesis in mind so that you can convey the purpose and success of your paper to your audience.
The discussion section of your research paper should be able to
- Claim - add new and original information to the data set of already existing knowledge
- Corroborate - support the existing materials in the subject area
- Clarify - supposed to refine and extend what people already know about the subject. This may involve comparison and contrast
- Contradict - Show the conflict between your search and that of others and prove why yours is right
This section of your paper holds significant value because it will act as a frame around your results and prove your point to the audience. You need to make sure you address each section carefully.
Here is how to create a solid discussion section for psychology research paper
- Start by addressing the hypothesis and show your readers that your data supports your thesis that you made in the introduction. You have to show a possible and valid relation between your findings and the previous knowledge in the subject.
- Talk about the limitations and problems in your paper before the reader points them out. You should do this on your own so that the professors know that you were aware of the lacking in your paper. You have to explain the truth in your hypothesis and until what extent your data supports it. You may want to talk about the flaws in the methodology or any other issues that you faced while performing your search and experimentation.
- Finally, after the limitations you have to show the larger significance of your paper and conclude the section. You have to discuss the practical aspects and application of your paper. You should also indicate the future scope of your work.